Ubuntu 13.04 - Install a much better Nautilus

I have to use the latest Ubuntu distro, 13.04 instead of 12.04 because of graphics issues with the Haswell Intel chips. As a result, I was forced to move over to Ubuntu 13.04 and found a lot of issues, starting with the newer version of Nautilus. A lot of other people have found these issues too, so here is a quick summary:

  1. Typing whilst in the file browser performs a full search, rather than selecting content just within the current directory.
  2. Launching nautilus from the CLI or with a command (alt/compiz commands) resulted in nautilus not popping up above other windows.
  3. Generally looks bad (but a matter of opinion).

The following shell commands sets up an older, patched version of nautilus from the good people of Webupd8 team. (Half my tutorials seem to revolve around them). I was worried that this may break my SVN GUI, RabbitVCS, but it didn't.

Instructions

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/experiments
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
killall nautilus
nautilus &

Important Note: I did not add the -y option to dist-upgrade like I usually do, as you should check that it does not ask you to remove packages. If it does, do not proceed.

References

No comments:

Post a Comment